November 5, 2018
Digital marketing software
Digital marketing software has become a critical part of the advertising landscape. Marketers are finding themselves settling into a cycle of continuous change, powered by new technologies and user behaviors.
As trends and technologies have emerged, the digital marketing software market has fragmented. Nuanced products are popping up left, right and center to match customer demand in an increasingly complex market — and this demand is digitally-driven.
'Digital' is such an integrated part of marketing that SoDA's 2017-18 global digital outlook predicts the word will disappear from marketing in the next five years.
There simply won't be any point talking about the difference between 'digital' and 'traditional' marketing — they'll be the same thing. Rather, marketers will be talking in terms of platforms, functionalities and benefits.
These five types of software represent some of the major players in any marketer's technology stack.
Marketing automation software automates marketing tasks. It allows marketers to create timely and tailored customer experiences across multiple channels and touchpoints. Marketing automation software covers multiple marketing functions, such as:
- Organization and automation of workflows, particularly those that involve repetitive or manual tasks;
- Automation of campaigns for PPC advertising, social media and display advertising;
- Automation of email, SMS and internal communications (like Trello or Slack);
- Governing of interactions between software through API integrations;
- Providing advanced functions like segmentation, email performance reporting and AB Split Testing;
- Integration with CRM software such as Salesforce;
- Generation of forms and landing pages that can be quickly plugged into websites fed back into the marketing automation framework; and
- Providing analytics and insights that are in-house or part of an integrated solution
Digital analytics software measures web traffic and activity. Professionals in almost every part of a business will find analytics software useful — it provides insight into customer behavior, conversion rates and content effectiveness. Integrate an analytics platform like Heap to:
- Keep tabs on conversions, events and clicks;
- Record web traffic metrics including total sessions, bounce rates, session durations, unique visitors and entry and exit pages;
- Help segment website traffic based on attributes like device, demographic or referral source; and
- Determine how users are interacting with content and the UI
Customer relationship management (CRM) software
CRM software helps manage relationships between a company and its users, suppliers, customers or any other relevant party. Customer service, sales, product and marketing teams use CRM software to drive success in all external relationships. Good CRM software will:
- Store customer information and data;
- Generate customer insights and reports;
- Identify and categorize leads (check out this Salesforce template);
- Streamline sales processes; and
- Integrate with marketing automation software and other business platforms
Email is a classic method of reaching large groups of people with marketing messages. It can be used to customize emails, and marketers can create these at any skill level — with drag-and-drop or HTML-based editors.
Email marketing software will:
- Display campaign-based reporting;
- Store and manage email contact lists;
- Perform AB Split Testing;
- Provide templates; and
- Allow for previewing and testing of emails
It's worth noting that straightforward email marketing software won't provide marketing automation functionalities. Many marketers will rather opt for marketing automation software like Autopilot, which integrates all of the above email marketing functionalities into a sophisticated, multi-channel customer journey.
Social media management software
As the name suggests, social media management software gives marketers the ability to manage social media accounts. With brands spread out across every social channel, these systems allow teams to manage their social media activity in a single space. Use social media software to:
- Schedule content across social channels;
- Manage multiple accounts across social channels;
- Engage with audiences across social channels;
- Monitor social media for brand mentions or relevant community conversation; and
- Archive and store social content
Social media is an incredibly relevant and important touch point for audiences around the world. Integrate popular social channels like Facebook directly into Autopilot
When choosing your digital marketing software, go for products that improve your tech stack, process and team workflow.
Consider digital marketing products that will be useful in the future — but be wary of paying for too many bells and whistles that you don't need. Starting from as little as $1 per month, Autopilot's pricing is structured so you only pay for what you use.